(the following quotes were made by Chris Kresser)
At ACNC, we speak to our patients constantly about limiting inflammation in the diet, lifestyle, physical and mental capacity.
Inflammation has long been understood to have ill effects on the body, especially when talking about chronic health problems. Identifying the source of the inflammation is a big piece of the puzzle in our office, and if unaddressed has high correlations with diabetes and obesity (coined diabesity) in this excerpt from Chris Kresser, MS, LAc.
“Inflammation has been shown to precede the development of diabesity. Elevated levels of inflammatory cytokines predict future weight gain, and infusion of inflammatory cytokines into healthy, normal weight mice causes insulin resistance.”
- TRANSLATION: Inflammation is present before diabetes/obesity develops.
“Inflammation begins in the fat cells themselves. Fat cells are the first to be affected by the development of obesity. As fat mass expands, inflammation increases. One mechanism for this may be dysfunction of the mitochondria (the “power plant” of our cells) caused by the additional stress obesity places on cellular function. Another mechanism may be oxidative stress. As more glucose is delivered to the fat cells, they produce an excess of reactive oxygen species (ROS) which in turn starts an inflammatory cascade within the cell.
- TRANSLATION: Inflammation begins in fat cells, the more fat cells you have (especially abdominal fat- think beer belly) the more inflamed you can be.
- Mitochondria help to produce ATP through 2 different mechanisms
- Aerobic (with oxygen) respiration and produce approximately 36 ATP (36 energy molecules)
- Anaerobic (without oxygen) respiration and produce approximately 2 ATP (2 energy molecules)
- THAT’S 18 TIMES THE AMOUNT OF ENERGY AVAILABLE WITH AEROBIC METABOLISM– THIS IS WHAT WE WANT
At ACNC we focus on:
- Reducing inflammation so we can “see through the fog”
- Removing the source of inflammation whether it’s poor brain function, gut function, infection, traumatic insult to brain/body “put out the fire”
- Repairing the faulty areas of the brain/body through functional neurology and/or function medicine “put humpty dumpty back together”
- Bringing the body back into balance “to get your quality of life back”
Call our office to schedule an evaluation of your system to see if brain/gut/infection or fat and sugar is creating your health issues